Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Top 10: Best Rappers Currently in the Game

In keeping with the tradition started by the bros at BDL, I wanted to present my very own power rankings but with a slight twist. Instead of ranking sports teams, I’m going to provide my power rankings for contemporary rap artists. My methodology was simple. I only considered those rappers who released an album/mixtape in the last 3 years. I also only included rappers I respect the hell out of. This means Drake wasn’t even considered. Alright, let’s get to it.

10. 2Chainz
2Chainz is the undisputed king of one-liners. Consider this: “All this polo on, you got horsepower.” Or this: “I'm drunk and high at the same time, drinking champagne on the airplane.” And this: “911, I'd like to report my ceiling missing.” My point here is that 2Chainz doesn’t take himself too seriously and in a world filled with inflated rap egos, I respect that. 

9. Lil Boosie 
Based on extensive personal experience, Boosie is one of just a handful of rappers who can get a party going. I highly recommend “Loose as a Goose” and “Top Notch” as good starter songs if you’ve never heard of him (seriously, go listen!). Boosie is currently in prison for a parole violation and murder indictment but released an album while incarcerated. #freeboosie 

8.Nicki Minaj
Before Nicki turned into a pop confection, she was a rapper. And a really good one too! In the single “Monster,” she manages to outmatch both Jay-Z and Kanye West (“so let me get this straight, wait, I'm the rookie? but my features and my shows ten times your pay?”) Now, I can’t fault Nicki for wanting to get more commercial- she even has a clothing line at Kmart- but I just really want the old (rapping) Nicki back! #freenicki

7. J Cole
North Carolina native J Cole’s last album “Born Sinner” was released on the same day as Kanye’s “Yeezus” and...yo, Kanye, imma let you finish but J Cole had the best album of all time. Of all time! But really, check out “Power Trip” and “Crooked Smile.” 

6. Jay Z
During my first year of teaching, I probably listened to “99 problems” about a dozen times before school every day. While it didn’t really have any impact on my teaching ability, I did learn a lot about the 4th Amendment. “Watch the Throne,” his collaboration with Kanye, is still one of my all-time favorite albums ever and if you need more convincing, check out “Murder to Excellence.” You can thank me later. 

5. Eminem
His new album notwithstanding, Eminem is one of the most talented rappers alive. (Editor's note:  I love the new album) A true wordsmith, in an interview with Anderson Cooper, Eminem revealed that he used to read the dictionary as a kid. Listen to “Stan” and the classic “Lose Yourself” for proof. 

4. Kanye West
Kanye wouldn’t be able to get away with half his antics if it wasn’t for the undeniable fact that he is a lyrical genius. His last album “Yeezus,” while a clear departure from earlier works, is addictive and contains gems like “Blood on the Leaves” and “I am a God.” His admonishment of french bakers on the latter single even received an official response from the Association of French Bakers (yes, there is such a thing.) Oh, and Ye, is pretty good with those one liners too (“now the whole party is melted like Dali.”) 

3. Kendrick Lamar
Kendrick’s debut album, “good kid, m.A.A.d city” was worth all the hype (and more). His rhymes are incredibly complex, layered and yet, receive major love from radio stations! Case in point: his single “Swimming Pools” which walks the line between commercial appeal and his incredible songwriting ability. His recent verse on Big Sean’s single “Control,” where Kendrick called out his rapper peers including Drake and Meek Mill cemented his place among the best in the business. 

2. Nas
Illmatic. Look it up.


1. Andre 3000 
So, I know that Andre hasn’t released a solo album/mixtape in years but allow me to make a case for why he belongs at the top of this list. In addition to his work with OutKast, Andre aka Three Stacks has earned his cred thanks to guest verses. His rhymes are sensitive (“Sumthin' Wicked This Way Comes”), introspective (“International Player’s Anthem”) and often, absurd. On the remix of “Walk it Out,” Dre manages to rap simultaneously about white tees and assembly line production of cars. His rhymes also reveal a level of apprehension about the rap profession and often contain appeals to the youngins (“rapper's really getting paid in full/ so full that the kid's don't go to school in hopes of becoming one of us.”) The fact that Andre has managed to attain this level of success with his unconventional verses is pretty astounding. On “B.O.B,” Dre notes, “weather man tellin us it ain't gon' rain, so now we sittin' in a drop-top, soakin wet.” Yup, he’s the best at what he does.

By Indira Dammu aka DJ Indizzle

5 comments:

  1. How is it possible you ranked Nas above Jay Z, Em or Kanye? Where is wayne? Where is TI? I need answers to these questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a list, here's the order of my list that it's in
    It goes:
    Jay-Z
    Marshall
    K. Dot
    And Yeezy
    Pusha T
    Drake
    Earl From Odd Future
    TI
    J. Cole
    And Weezy

    ReplyDelete
  3. And 2chainz is the only odd one on the list though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, Weezy is just the worst/laziest rapper these days ("when it waynes, it pours.") All his songs also sound the same to me! And T.I. is a decent rapper- I think he has solid hooks but some of his verses are whack! Oh, and Illmatic is seriously one of the best rap albums released. Take a listen- you will agree :) I actually agree with the rest of you about Earl- oversight on my part. I should have bumped Nicki off the list!
    @Ben: Nice Eminem reference!!

    ReplyDelete