Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Stuff White People Like: A Revival - Post #1: NPR

Perhaps you remember the popular Stuff White People Like blog or you read the book that summarized all white people's likes (and ended the blog). Since those folks haven't posted since 2010, it's high time to revive Stuff White People Like. When you have the sophisticated palate that white people do, there's no doubt a plethora of new things white people have picked up in the past three years.

I'm currently a graduate student, so I have up close and personal every day interaction with white people, and I'm white. Jane Goodall wishes she had this perspective.

White People Love NPR




Nothing says I'm informed, open minded and balanced like turning your dial all the way to the left to catch the local NPR station. I guarantee if I polled my classmates, the majority of them would admit that the #1 preset on their car radio is the local NPR carrier.

"You just can't beat the perspective you get from the BBC News Hour."

"Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me is a ball of laughs!"

"How does Diane Rehm pull in these guests?!"

"I heard this great new band on the Tiny Desk Series podcast!"

"God I miss Car Talk."

Spend some time with white people and these are just a sample of some of the remarks you might hear. NPR is the last bastion of reliable news. They aren't guided by selling ad time or catering to a political leaning audience. NPR is where you turn to be informed.

You should have seen people's faces light up when I told them the place I was living in DC over the summer was near NPR's studios. "Do they offer tours?" I'm not sure, but I think I could probably give you a feel for the layout. There's probably a receptionist, some offices, cubicles and conference rooms and a few rooms with thick walls, glass windows and microphones.

Thank you for reading. As you may know, Bald Don't Lie doesn't sell advertising. We rely on reader support to provide you with our insight and musings. Please donate what you can, so that we can continue to provide you the stories you desire.

Just kidding. Man, time to turn NPR off and switch on Songza.

No comments:

Post a Comment