Saturday, October 19, 2013

Chuck and Gene break down the Bobcats 2013-2014 season

The Charlotte Bobcats are an incredible 3-2 in preseason NBA basketball this season.  Vegas has their over-under wins listed at 27.5 (an incredible 20.5 wins more than they had in the strike-shortened 2011-2012 campaign).  Folks, brace yourself for some news:  the Charlotte Bobcats aren't the worst team in the NBA!  It's a great feeling.  So good that my buddy Gene and I had to begin breaking down the Bobcats season via email over the past week.  Here's part I.

Chuck:  As I write this email, the Charlotte Bobcats just tied-up the Atlanta Hawks 72-72 in the first preseason game of the season.  Gene, right off the bat, what gets you excited for this season?

Gene:  I must admit I am very excited about Bobcats Basketball being back in my life; however, I am not very excited about Bobcats preseason basketball.  Currently, I am reading a great piece about Supreme Court Justice Scalia (http://nymag.com/news/features/antonin-scalia-2013-10/), which being about 75% through I recommend, especially when compared to NBA preseason basketball. If I am being honest, I think I am most excited about Steve Martin.  He is by far the most consistent positive in the world of Bobcats.  As an announcer, he brings just the right about of insight mixed in with home team favoritism.  Probably not the answer you were expecting, where you?

Chuck:  Definitely not the answer I was expecting, although your mention of Steve Martin reminds of how much I dislike Time Warner Cable.  Just tonight I was hoping to tune into the Bobcats game, and found the game wasn't on SportsSouth like advertised.  Quick side note:  I read that article earlier, and you are right, it's great.  Scalia is a great justice to study right now.  He has very firm views on the separation of powers and establishing strict domains for the three branches of Congress.  He will be pivotal during the upcoming legislative session.

You got me off the point.  Tonight Bismack Biyombo, the 7th pick in the 2011 draft had 2 points, 2 blocks and 2 rebounds in 22 minutes.  One thing I'm curious to see this season is how Bismack develops with Al Jefferson getting 33 minutes a night at center and Pat Ewing as the big man coach.  If I had to make a bet right now, I'd put my money on not seeing Biz in a Hornets jersey next season.  Thoughts?
(Editor’s Note:  Since Jefferson’s minor ankle injury, Biyombo has been a bona fide rebounding maching, pulling down 39 in three games.)

Gene:  I could not disagree more.  I think Biyombo has the first real chance to shine since we drafted him.  If we know one thing about him, it is that the man knows how to play defense.  He should fit nicely with Jefferson who clearly cannot (Editor’s note:  Jefferson’s defense is horrible, but he says he is working on it).  Having Zeller around should further reduce the offensive burden.  I love the fact that Biyombo is no longer starting.  From what I saw last year, he seems like a hard worker - I think by the end of this year, he will finally stop bringing the ball to the floor after every offensive rebound - an infuriating habit.  Biz finally has the time and talent around him to develop.  I refuse to give up on a man who just a little over a month ago took his first drink of alcohol (I assume, although he may be 36).  The team option for the 2014-2015 of $3.8 million seems reasonable to me, especially when you consider what we have been paying our big men over the last years (Diop earned 7.4 million last year alone).  The bigger question to me, can we possibly be lucky enough to see Biyombo's draft-mate Kemba Walker improve as much coming off his second summer as he did from his first?

Chuck:  I agree with you on a couple points: Biz is relatively cheap, and his D should blend with Al Jefferson down low.  But in the NBA you either have to do one thing extraordinary, a couple things great or everything pretty good.  Bismack is a very good defender - he's quick, rebounds and blocks at a high level.  Dig a little deeper though and you see he numbers are a product of his minutes per game, but not very efficient.  According to basketball-reference.com (go to this website, you are welcome) his defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions) last season was 109.  To compare, Al Jefferson's last year was 104 and Marc Gasol's was 98.  To make matters worse, Bismack is atrocious on offense.  He can't shoot a single shot on the court at a high percentage, including dunks and layups.  

So we agree to disagree here.  You are right about Kemba.  The future of the Bobcats sits on his shoulders right now.  I say he's ready to take another step forward.  Jefferson and Zeller should open up the court for Kemba.  Last season he had to be at times the primary scorer and distributor.  That isn't what we need.  Kemba can' try and be Iverson 2.0.  The Bobs need a leader, a true point guard and a solid defender.  Agree?

Gene:  I could not agree more about the leader, though between MKG and Biz we have enough raw defensive talent.  Now that opponents have to consider some scorers other than Kemba, he should have a better chance, but do you think he is the leader of the team?  I see a lot of OK players on this team, but we are still searching for the Superstar.  As much as I hope Kemba takes another step this year, I cannot see it happening.  I love MKG, but I cannot see him developing an offensive game over the summer.  It seems like we are a team that is finally acquiring assets to make a big move when one becomes available.  This season is about finding a NBA level head coach (in true QC fashion, on the cheap), growing the young players, and hoping that a Superstar becomes available in a James Harden-ish type deal.  If your bet is on Biz not being on the 14-15 squad, my bet is on a top level player being in Charlotte – let’s just pray it is a real top level player, not someone like Rudy Gay (http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents).

Look for Part 2 in the coming days….

No comments:

Post a Comment